First, the bad news: we are taking a rain check on that first, full day of ownership road trip. We'd hoped for a jaunt up the coast to Santa Barbara, about 100 mile roundtrip from here. Seemed like a perfect first go in the Bolt. But the weather today is once again kind of piss-awful. Not just wet but cold.
By California standards, mind you. The rest of the country can call us weather wimps if you like. We don't mind, because it's true. The other truth is, we need the rain way more than I needed a Bolt shakedown cruise, or so the fates decided.
Not that this means the Bolt will stay in the garage for the day. Oh, no. It was out for brunch this morning, and we're headed for a movie later this afternoon. That will be about 30 miles, roundtrip. It'll do.
Second, let's get this out of the way. It's the mandatory driveway cheesecake shot. I mean the car, not me, wise guy. I'm just in it.
Though today is my birthday. Really, it is. (I know, this was awful family planning on my parents' part but I have decided I can live with it.) I tried to talk someone into buying me a Bolt as a birthday present, but you can guess how that worked out. I look pretty happy anyway.
My biggest niggle with the Bolt so far is the shifter. I realize some of my frustration is a function of a lack of familiarity, but how much familiarity should be required to use such an essential piece of driving equipment? The little instructional sign they hang from it tells me maybe it was the Ergonomics Cop's day off at Chevy when they came up with this goofy solution.
Maybe you've read about this one already. To hit reverse, the handle has to be bumped up, then left. This I get, sort of—accidentally shifting into reverse could produce many needless thrills. Yet, to shift back into the forward propulsion position, the lever only gets bumped down, not right, and down as you might expect, especially if you are accustomed to manual shifting.
It's been only a day, and I'll get used to it. But good grief, what a face palm moment.
Here's another Bolt puzzle. I've never owned a car with a backup camera before, and after once backing and smacking my Mini into a brick planter, I was determined to never own another car without one. The Bolt has a dandy backup camera system, and that big display to view it, not to mention the bird's-eye view camera (on the Premier).
This is where old school meets new tech, and the reunion is not entirely a joyful one. A hugely ingrained habit of anyone who learned to drive before 2005 is throwing your right arm behind the passenger seat, and pivoting around to look behind as you back up (and the one time you get lazy, smackeroo!).
Of course, if you keep on doing what you learned, a backup camera seems kind of pointless. What do I do now? Can I trust this piece of technology with my rear bumper and anybody or thing behind me?
I dunno. Suggestions are welcomed.
Speaking of which, I know folks are reading this blog. So why not leave me a comment or two? You know, some words of discouragement. We can all use some of those.
Either way, see you tomorrow—Bolt willing!
Love reading about your experience here! Thanks so much! And you'll get used to the back up camera, I will never own another car without one!
ReplyDeleteThanks! The appeal of the backup camera was instantaneous, but for now I am still struggling a bit with old habits.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see some mileage stats! Very jealous!
ReplyDeleteAll this Bolt talk and I live in Fl. I will be driving my 2017 Volt until the Bolt becomes available in my state. That for your insights on your new Bolt, makes me want to drive to Ca.
ReplyDeleteI've had a car with cameras for almost a year, and I'm not sure I'm used to it yet. But often times it makes the difference between giving up on parking versus parking perfectly in a dicey situation.
ReplyDeleteThe shifter is not all that different from a Prius shifter: it's just in a different location. Prius owners might make the transition more easily. I wonder if this was intentional?
ReplyDeletePerhaps. I am coming at this as someone who is completely new to EVs, for one, and for another, from many years of driving a manual, so it's been a bit of a head-scatcher. My issue with it is probably more a function of the latter. The path to reverse and back into a forward gear are the same on a manual. Chevy opted to make them different, which is inherently counterintuitive if you're used to the logic of a manual transmission. Granted, few even know how to drive a manual anymore.
DeleteI'm envious - you got your Bolt first. But it is your birthday. Keep writing, and follow my Bolt and other EV adventures too at stevegoesgreen.com.
ReplyDeleteWe're looking forward to following your adventures. Our lease on our LEAF is up in May, and we're really curious about what's going to be next. Thinking seriously of a Bolt - getting to the Bay Area from Reno isn't the problem, it's that long eastbound drive between charging stations in Auburn and Truckee that needs solving. Would you mind Liking the EAANN (Electric Auto Association of Northern Nevada) facebook page? This way I can better follow you - as well as help our membership keep up with your progress. Or, you can email me: ladybird53@icloud.com
ReplyDeleteOkay, sure. I did that. And thanks for posting a link to my blog! I'm looking forward to the sage advice of veteran EV'ers as I learn all the ropes of EV driving. Next week I am contemplating using the Bolt for a trip to LA that would be about 180 miles roundtrip. Not being 100% confident in the Bolt's range yet, especially in the somewhat cold weather we've bee having. we will probably I will take the other car this time.
Delete