Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Boltage: Day Four

Yesterday's main event was hitting the century mark on the odometer. It flipped to three digits while I was putting the Bolt through some paces on a nearby back road.

The mileage was of course not as significant as this driving test. And it produced better results than I frankly expected.

I didn't push the car very hard (I will save that level of testing for driving it alone), but if I anticipated the car leaning and plowing into turns, at least a little, I guess wrongly. The Bolt may be heavy for its size (toting around nearly a half a ton of batteries, it should be), but the car feels practically airy maneuvering through turns. 

Partly this may be the affect of somewhat light steering. If that's the case, then I can take back some of my initial criticism of this feature of the car. If Chevy wanted the car to "feel" small in driving, the trick works, mostly.

Where the car feels less diminutive is from the driving position. Coming from the skateboard Mini Cooper, the Bolt is practically SUV-like. The acres of glass from the front seats forward only adds to the sensation. 

It isn't unpleasant by any means, and many will love that feature right from the start, but this is another adjustment for me. The result of the high perch also means, as a glance to the speedometer confirms, that you are probably driving faster than you think. 

Having lived with the car for few days, I am now prepared to make a few aesthetic judgments. Take all them with a suitable dose of sodium.

The exterior design, as many have already noted already, is pure Chevy. Allowing themselves the freedom to eliminate the vestigial grille would have made so much design sense. 

They didn't go there, so I assume it's a corporate commandment that any car produced by the company must incorporate the trademark mustache and goatee on the front elevation. So there it is, expressed in plastic. It isn't deeply offensive, just needlessly faux.

The aluminum wheels are another needlessly busy element. Chevy calls all those wrinkles and the arbitrary chrome details "expressive." Expressive of what, exactly, other than excess? 

For the exterior I give Chevy an overall grade of "C" (for reference, I award the Mini Cooper an "A-" and the BMW a "B.") Yes, I know the car isn't European. I will get over it. The statement the car makes isn't in how it looks, but what it is. That's my story, and I am sticking to it.


The interior treatment is more pleasing. Some have called it too plastic. I see the point, but I don't entirely agree. The interior decorating on the Bolt may verge on the Spartan, but that's just fine with me. Personally I don't expect a tooled leather or burled walnut dashboard on my cars, and those materials would be laughably out of place on the Bolt anyway. 

Most of the visual focus on the interior is on the displays in any case. They are sharp, bright, and properly located. The displays are a big part of the Bolt driving experience and I expect to say a lot more about them in a future report.

Chevy includes lots of deep pockets on the doors and between the seats where you can lose stuff you that you probably should not even be leaving in your car. I can look forward to many happy days of cleaning them out.

Bolting through the New Year's holiday gave me an opportunity to post daily. The start of the work week means less time for such pursuits, but I will keep it going as time permits. If you have any specific questions or areas you'd like me to cover, let me know in the comments.

Speaking of which, this blog seem to have been discovered by an EV board in Norway. So a special hello and "takk for lesing" to all my readers in Norway!


14 comments:

  1. Bare hyggelig. ;-) we appreciate anything bolt/ampera-e :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Eventually, I hope. What kind of video are you hoping to see?

      Delete
    2. Features you like, cargo space, dash boards, nobs, stalks, shifters, widgets! Mine that car for all of the YouTube monitization you can!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all this great posts. We are vicariously living through your experience. I have been checking for such a post for many days and glad to come across it. I bought me a used chevy bolt exactly one year ago and i loved it so much i got me a used nissan leaf; each for about 10K; i just love them so i can only dream about owning a bolt; Good luck and again thanks for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is just incredible what is about to take place here. We will clean this mess and it will resolve so many issues. Just imagine in 100 years, they will look at this introduction of this type of car and this electrification as a turning point in the history. I feel this is setting the industrial revolution finally on the right path!

      Delete
  4. Any thoughts or comments about the seats and seating "feel" while actively driving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might be a bit narrow for some, but I think the seats are just fine. The cloth might be a somewhat different feel but the leather is firm without being hard. My longest drive is only about a half hour so far though.

      Delete
    2. Hi

      Is there any chance that you could get a male person 6 feet tall and 240 pounds to say something about the seat comfort on your leather seats. The internet is buzzing with talk over this issue that the seats are 2 small 4 a "normal" size viking.

      Tom E. from Norway

      Delete
    3. I am thinking if I know any Vikings! I am over 6 feet myself (though not nearly that heavy) and have plenty of headroom and legroom in the car. In fact the seat is set well forward of its farthest back position for me.

      Delete
  5. Nice blog and congrats! Hoping to join you in adding owner thoughts by the end of next week.
    Btw, not to be a critic, but the background makes it a lot harder to read some of the text....At least on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A lot harder" should read "a bit harder."

      Delete
    2. I was going to change some of that but I haven't quite mastered the design settings on Blogspot. Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete